Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Graphical plugins

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 01:29:23 -0700
Stan Derry wrote:
Are there any graphical plugins similar to Etherape's or Compuware's ApplicationVantage (formerly Application Expert)?

There are currently no plugins that do graphics; there are "tap listener" plugins, but, currently, there's no mechanism to have tap listener plugins labeled as "requires GTK+" vs. "doesn't require GTK+" (so that Tethereal would load only the latter - it's not a graphical application, so it doesn't include the GTK+ library, and it wouldn't make sense to load graphical plugins in Tethereal), and there's no "generic" graphics layer for plugins that would be a stub in Tethereal (and Tethereal would have to know what plugins are graphical even with that, so that they can't be specified with "-z").

A way of distinguishing GUI from non-GUI "tap listener" plugins would be useful, e.g. putting the GUI tap listeners into a subdirectory of the main directory for plugins.