Ethereal-users: Re: FW: [Ethereal-users] [Ethereal Users] Hardware Specs of myEthereal PC

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:53:06 +0200
Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 24.05.05 09:23:13:

> thanks Hansang,
>
> I really appreciate  your help. I'll try to double the memory and see if
> there are any improvements.  My goal actually of doing this is to capture
> traffic in my network for a long period of time... a 24hr period capture
> would be better but if it is not possible for this duration a 12hr long
> capture would be fine...
>
> may I also ask if it is practical to use ethereal in monitoring traffic in
> my network for long periods of time... does ethereal designed to work like
> this... What can you advise to me?

Adding some more memory is a good idea anyway as Ethereal will crash when it's running out of memory.

You can try the multiple files feature while capturing (see http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/ChCapCaptureFiles.html), so you won't get one large file (causing huge memory usage) but some smaller files easier to handle with (and loading a lot faster when looking at it later :-)

Anyway, you may think about how to deal with the large amount of data you'll get ...

Regards, ULFL