Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Tethereal can, Ethereal cannot

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:27:41 +0200
Hi Ulf,

to reproduce this:
1. Create a pipe
   mkfifo /tmp/fifo

2. Start the writer:
   tcpdump -i lo0 -n -w /tmp/fifo

3. Start the reader:
   ethereal -i /tmp/fifo

Then you should see the packets in ethereal... Starting tethereal instead
of ethereal works.

Best regards
Michael

On May 19, 2005, at 19:00 Uhr, Ulf Lamping wrote:

Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 19.05.05 11:51:24:

Guy Harris wrote:

Ethereal's opening the pipe in non-blocking mode, but it's not turning
non-blocking mode off on the pipe once that completes, so if it tries
reading from the pipe before something opens the pipe for writing, it'll
get an EOF and assume that there's nothing more to read.

...although turning the flag off doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Ulf?

Hmm, yes I've noticed some mails that there are problems with capturing (or reading?) from a pipe :-(

As I'm usually working on windows where this isn't possible, I don't have a lot of experience with it.

I'll take a look on my debian box, so could someone explain (or point me to info) how to use the pipe "mode" ... or even better add this info to the wiki (if it's not already there).

Is this all about reading from a pipe, capturing from a pipe or even both?

BTW: Please don't expect any changes since sometime at the weekend, I'm currently very busy.

Regards, ULFL