Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 64 bit machines

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:34:31 -0700
Caroline Henderson wrote:
Hi there, can Ethereal be used on 64 bit Window machines?

I don't know whether anybody's tested it.

It works on 64-bit UN*X machines, but 64-bit UN*X machines tend to be
LP64 machines, with 64-bit "long"s, so *if* there are any places in
Ethereal (or any of the libraries on which it depends) where a pointer
is put into a "long" and expected to survive the experience, it'd work
on LP64 UN*X machines, but not on LLP64 64-bit Windows machines, as a
"long" is, as I understand it, 32 bits in 64-bit Windows.

In addition, I don't know whether WinPcap works on 64-bit Windows.

Binary packages for 64-bit Windows don't exist for Ethereal or for
WinPcap, so, even if they *do* work, people will have to compile WinPcap
and Ethereal themselves.