Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] 802.1Q packets with Broadcom gigabit on Latitude D610 in Window

From: Eric Rosenberry <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 12:40:53 -0700
I recently ran into a problem with a metro Ethernet provider giving me a 10 megabit Ethernet connection that had VLAN tagging running on it, however, they did not properly communicate the correct VLAN tag to me. I fired up ethereal on my Dell Latitude D610 (running Windows XP with a Broadcom 57xx card) to see what was coming across the link (from some of my gear on the other end that was properly configured) and I was able to see the traffic, but ethereal did not let me see what VLAN it was tagged with.

From the research I have done (most of my information coming from previous postings to this mailing list) I believe the problems lie in the Broadcom drivers stripping the VLAN tag information off before passing it up. I have read that on the Intel cards you can disable this... Is there any way to get this working on the Broadcom cards?

Any help is appreciated!

P.S. Also of note on the Latitude D610, WinPcap 3.0 did not work for me on this machine. I had to install WinPcap 3.1 beta4 in order to be able to capture packets. I am not sure if this was just required for this machine period, or if it had something to do with the fact that I have a Bluetooth adapter in here along with the Cisco VPN Client installed.

-Eric