Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] DNS Malformed Packet

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:18:51 +1000

You may are probably right (regarding Denial Of Service attempt). It
might be useful if you can use the "Decode as" function to force
decoding as DNS (or at least IP).

However I have compared your trace with a valid DNS request that I have.
At offset 0x14 you have the value 0x4000 whereas my standard request has
the value 0x0000. These two bytes are the IP fragment offset field. What
this means, is that this packet is instructing you that the payload in
this IP packet should be "glued" on to the previous payload on this
connection contents at an offset of 0x4000 (16384) x 8 bytes (or 131072
bytes) after the first fragment. This would be unusual for a DNS request
(very big request indeed!!!)

Basically you have received a IP fragmentation attack. It may well be
causing your host to allocate more buffer space than it ought.

You may want to investigate and patch it appropriately.

Martin Visser, CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visser@xxxxxx

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.