Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] filtering capability

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:33:03 -0700
Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:

But what situation would you want to use it in? Usually if the IP
addresses are the same, the traffic will actually go over the local
interface and Ethereal will not be able to capture it anyway.

...unless you're running on Linux, one of the BSDs (including Mac OS X), Digital/Tru64 UNIX, or possibly Irix and AIX if libpcap was built to support BPF (*NOT* Solaris or HP-UX or Windows), in which case, you can capture on the loopback interface and see traffic from the machine to itself.