Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: Dup Acks

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:45:19 +1000
ronnie sahlberg wrote:
Dulicate ACKs is an indication that packetloss has occured.
See RFC793 or RFC1122

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:09:13 +0100, Freeman Kate F
<KFFREEMAN@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What does one Ack and its duplicate being transmitted at the same time
signify?

Duplicate packets *with identical timestamps* can also be a symptom of Windows behaving badly. I see that trying to capture on Token Ring with ZoneLabs.

Whether it is Windows XP or WinPCAP or the TR drivers or ZoneLabs or real lost packets (the last seems unlikely since I'm seeing dup ACKs with the source and destination plugged into the one TR hub) I can't say for sure.

                -- Dr. Who