Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Found Ethernet headers in a wireless NIC card.

From: "Mahesh Krishnan" <mkrish1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:23:03 -0500
Hi,

I have a Proxim and a 3COM orinoco 802.11 a,b,g card wireless NIC running on
FC3. I am running ethereal on the these cards, and If the cards are not in
monitor mode, I expect ethereal to record only those packet information that
the card sees and not the entire 802.11 network.

But when I used ethereal to sniff the card It was actually reporting Ethernet
headers and not 802.11 headers. One can understand if there was neither 802.11
or ethernet headers because the card is not in monitor mode.

Is this a bug in ethereal. I am running the latest version.. 0.10.10.

Thanks,

Mahesh.