Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] RTP & UDP

From: John Graves <jhgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:16:51 -0500
I have 2 traces I have saved, one includes a phone to system connection and the second is ip Phone to IP phone connection. The first stream is as I expected, with H.225 used for call setup and the voice wrapped in RTP. The second stream, does not appear to use RTP??? All I see are UDP packets with 32 byte payloads, but no distinguishing wrappers for the data. The system is an Avaya IP Office with an Avaya VoIP phone on this end. Depending on the call the other end is terminated either in the same type IP Phone or a corresponding digital phone. I would expect the IP Office to decode the IP for a connection to the digital phone and the addressing seems to confirm this.
Has anyone else seem this or am I missing something as I capture packets?

John G.
Ethereal 0.10.10 & WinPCap 3.1 beta 4

--
John Graves

Dynamic Devices Inc.
781-245-9100

Your source for Security, Wireless LANS & Wide Area Networking for converged Data, Voice and Video