Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] vnc filters and latency

From: Adam Ripka <aripka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:05:34 -0500
I'm using tethereal for my senior project class as a network monitoring tool mainly to measure performance and status. The network is going to be set up so a user logs in and is given a vnc connection to a remote machine.

I know vnc runs on port 5900 as well as viewing on 5800 through 580x, depending on the number of viewers. I'm assuming a capture filter can be made to monitor these ports. My question is whether or not I can measure the performance on these ports? I would like to ping the user and then isolate the ping and ping ack to measure the latency. I'm not really sure how to go about doing this(isolating the ping packets). Anyone have an idea?

Also, if I'm running tethereal so the vnc user can't see what's goin on, can I create multiple capture filters through a command line, or can you create cap filters in ethereal, save them, and apply them while using tethereal?

FYI: The remote machine running vnc server is running Windows XP pro, the user initially logs on to a UNIX server to get permission to use the vnc server. Ethereal is running on both the UNIX and XP machines.

I appreciate any help on these topics. I think ethereal is a great product and I've been doing a lot of reading up on it. I am new to the networking world and need a little jumpstart.

Thanks,
Adam