Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] GSM BSSAP, Reporting Bug

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:38:36 -0500

Hi,

I found the BSSAP dissector is very good. Each Element Identifier has its handle [+] to expand its subtree. This way, I can see which Element Identifiers are present in the message. It is very detailed. I would like to report a bug. In the text below, Octet 6 and Octet 7 are decoded as if they had value 0x81. But in fact, octet 6 is 0x21 and octet 7 is 0x15. The value 0x81 is actually the value of octet 5, which is being repeated for octet 6 and 7, thus making the decoding incorrect (Extraneous Data).

[...]
                        ^  ^  ^
It looks like in line 4663 (octet 6) and 5218 (octet 7) of file packet-gsm_a.c , missing the code:
     oct = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, curr_offset);

Please find attached the trace, which is of ANSI MTP3.

Thanks for the detailed analysis and the capture file.

The attached patch fixes the problem (the same problem was repeated multiple times in the same function).

Developers, please consider this patch for inclusion.

Regards,
-Jeff