Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problems with Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 03:00:46 -0800
mail.panino@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
Is there only this method?

You're doing this on Windows, so there's no way to have some other program tell Ethereal to cleanly stop capturing, so, yes, you have to tell it to capture for some amount of time and then stop by using the "-a" flag.

If you just shut your machine down while Ethereal is running, Ethereal will *NOT* cleanly stop capturing - it will probably just exit in the middle of writing out the capture file. If you then attempt to read in the resulting capture file, you might get a "The capture file appears to have been cut short in the middle of a packet." error.