Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: ICMP

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:57:58 +0100
I have seem more than the first 8 bytes in ICMP packets (protocol unreachable)

Best regards
Michael

On Mar 22, 2005, at 16:20 Uhr, LEGO wrote:

I took a look to rfc792 (ICMP) and fOr every message supposed to carry
the errored packet it says:

   Internet Header + 64 bits of Data Datagram

      The internet header plus the first 64 bits of the original
      datagram's data.  This data is used by the host to match the
      message to the appropriate process.  If a higher level protocol
      uses port numbers, they are assumed to be in the first 64 data
      bits of the original datagram's data.

I assume it's just the fisrt 8 bytes. Otherwise it would be a waste of
badwidth that at the time when it was written (1981) would had been
unacceptable. So far I've never seen more than that.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:10:33 +0100, Michael Tuexen