Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: ICMP

From: Jack Jackson <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:14:02 -0800
At 04:06 PM 3/21/2005, James Knott wrote:
ronnie sahlberg wrote:
That is what is supposed to happen.
Rationale:
You asked for all packets containing the UDP protocol and you got them.
An analyzer that filtered for UDP and did not show you these pacekts
to you would be broken. Ethereal is not broken in this regard.

ICMP is not UDP.  Why should Ethereal show something that's not selected?

Because there is a UDP message inside the ICMP message.

The best reason I can think of for it working this way is: Suppose you are capturing a UDP conversation. If at some point a UDP message gets returned via ICMP because of some error, you probably want to see that.