Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Installing on Win32 with existing GTK environment.

From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:21:02 -0500
Hello,

I have found myself running a large number of GTK-based apps on Windows, and would like to avoid having multiple copies of GTK with diverging versions etc.

I have installed a stand-alone GTK runtime enrivonment from the GIMP site, and have other GTK applications running via that setup. However, Ethereal doesn't seem to want to use the global files. If the DLL files are not present in the Etheral install directory, even if they are in the path or even if they are in the same folder as ethereal.exe, the program GPF's on startup.

I moved the exe and dll files for Ethereal into my C:\gtk\bin folder (where I can successfully run GIMP, Xchat, and a few other apps.) I can see from FileMon that svchost.exe is querying for, and not finding, "C:\Program Files\Ethereal\wiretap-0.1.dll", "C:\Program Files\Ethereal\libglib-2.0-0.dll", etc. I can't figure out where this path is coming from, as I've changed all registry references and rebooted the machine.

I assume that, even if I get this working, the other folders inside the Ethereal setup will also have issues. I'm pretting confident about the share\ and lib\ folders, as they coincide with the \gtk\lib and \gtk\share folders, but I'm especially concerned with Ethereals snmp\ and plugins\ folders.

Anyone else tried to do this before, with success, and how do you accomplish it?

--Mike