Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help needed

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:26:14 -0800
Shemrudkar, Prasad wrote:

Does Ethereal capture packets on serial interfaces

If the serial interfaces appear as network interfaces (e.g., interfaces that "ifconfig" can report on UN*X systems), then, if the OS supports capturing on those network interfaces, Ethereal should be able to capture packets on the interface.

If you want to do passive third-party capture - i.e., if the serial interface is connecting two other machines - you *might* be able to use a card from Endace:

	http://www.endace.com/

along with their library and a version of libpcap built to include support for their cards - you'd have to make sure Ethereal uses that library, either by building a special version linked with that version of libpcap, or building a shared-library version of libpcap and installing it in place of the version on your system, if Ethereal is linked with a shared-library version of libpcap.

and gigabit ports?

Several different types of network ports run at gigabit speeds. If it's a gigabit Ethernet port that appears as a network interface on your system, Ethereal should be able to capture on it.