Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] RTP Analysis: Error: "Can't save in afile:Unsupported codec

From: Erik Naslund <erik.naslund@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:34:23 -0500
The question is, how can ethereal decode/analyze a VOIP conversation
that includes DTMF events? There are conversations which you would
want to record that would include those events (think about calling
your cable/internet/phone/bank customer service center).

Today, ethereal will fail with the error in the subject line if you
try to save the stream payload to an .au file. If you remove the DTMF
events via a display filter, you can encode the .au file, however, the
timing of the conversation becomes off.

So the challenge is, how can the "save payload" feature be modified to
account for these events, (generate false tones, insert silence,
etc..) and maintain the timing of the streams.