Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] new to tracing and ethereal

From: Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:20:10 +0200
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 22:02, Prokopek, John wrote:
> I am new to tracing and ethereal ( as the title states!)
> I have an application that send large chunks of text over a tcp
> socket. I thought I should be able to see these messages but I do
> not. When I run the app the dialog window that shows captured packets
> with %total shows an increase in traffic but when I filter by the ip
> address, the address the system is running on, and the port number,
> the display returns no messages.

Are you running Ethereal on the machine that runs the application? If
not, you must somehow allow the machine you're using to sniff packets
(with Ethereal) to "see" the packets of the other host.

You can achieve this by connecting all machines involved with a hub
(which broadcasts all packets to every port), but not a switch.

-A