Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Open dialog

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:22:38 -0800
ESQuicksall_Misc wrote:
I would like to suggest that the open dialog have a place to enter the full file path and name.

Try typing control-L - this is the first I'd head about ^L, which I found by Googling for

	gtkfilechooser "full path"

which found

	http://www.murrayc.com/blog/tech/2005-01-08-10-57.html

which seemed to imply that something was changed in the GtkFileChooser in GTK+ 2.6 for "the type-the-full-path crowd", so I Googled for

	gtkfilechooser "gtk 2.6"

and found

	http://www.gtk.org/gtk-2.6.0-notes.html

which said

  The new GtkFileChooser widget emphasizes simplicity and thus does
  not provide a navigation entry by default when opening files.
  Experienced command line users will likely want to make heavy use of
  the location dialog brought up by the Control-L key shortcut.

so I was curious whether the ^L shortcut was available in the GTK+ 2.4 version that I'm using - it is.

(If this is a confusing response with all its references and with the link's references to "GtkFileChooser" and" "GTK+ 2.4" and "GTK+ 2.6" and so on, bear in mind that we, the Ethereal developers, did *NOT* write the code that implements the open dialog, we just wrote the code that *calls* that code; much of Ethereal's UI, including the file open dialog, is provided by the GTK+ toolkit, which we didn't write.)