Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] "No disk" bug others have already solved?

From: "John Woodward" <nekote@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:19:16 -0500
Hello,

Fantastic software - Ethereal !!!!

Odd bug that seems to have tripped up numerous other software.
In my case, it reffered to: \Device\Harddisk2\DR4

USB / Flash / camera "removeable hard drives".

According to:
"There is no disk in drive" error message
"There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk5\DR15."

I believe I have found the reason for this error now. I let AG 1.82 ask for the name of the device for devices that reported itself as DRIVE_REMOVABLE. I had heard that a few USB drives could report itself to be of that unit type so in an attempt to improve the USB drive support I added that code.

ethereal.exe complained it couldn't find a (removeable?) USB? disk .
Choices include "Continue", which brought up a second similar (or was it identical?) message.
Continuing from there, all is well and works, WONDERFULLY !!!

I had Googled for "\Device\Harddisk2\DR4" and discovered similar issues for Quick Time and Audio Grabber, to name two.

Somehow checking removeable USB drives in a way that causes this System Event ID 26?
Application popup: ethereal.exe - No Disk : There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into \Device\Harddisk2\DR4

Hope this helps.
Didn't find a better way to communicate this oddity or it's apparent solution.

Best Regards,
John