Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Uninstall Ethereal before update?

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:25:28 +0000
I'm currently using Ethereal 10.9 on Windoze 2K.

Do I have to uninstall 10.9 before installing 10.10?

I couldn't find a FAQ about this, and the documentation isn't clear.  It says to
uninstall WinPCap before updating (reinstalling), but "2.8.1. Update" only says
to "simply download and start the installer exe" for Ethereal. It indicates
reboot is not required, but says nothing about uninstalling.

The kicker is that it's "done the same as installing it"... well, if it's never
been installed, then shouldn't one uninstall first?

If uninstalling first is not needed, then please state that! Something as simple
as "You do not need to uninstall Ethereal before installing a later version."
would suffice.

Please add this to the documentation and FAQ list!  (I could add it to the
documentation and FAQ, if someone tells me how, as I don't have a lot of time to
research it.)

Forgive me if this seems too simple (or anal) to be answered.  I write SW
requirements, and if you leave someting open to interpretation and assumptions,
bugs get in. Remember the addage about "assume"!

      Phil Reinemann

      PReine998 [at] comcast [dot] net