Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] PPP Analysis via the serial port

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:06:44 -0800
Milton E. Morgan wrote:
The instructions for using WinPcap and Etherreal software contain the statement "...it supports multi processor machines and Windows XP, although it does not support capturing on serial devices and other PPP interfaces." My connection to the Internet must be via the serial port with analog modems. Is there any way that I can use the WinPcap and Ethereal software for my PPP analysis work?

Yes - use the WinPcap 3.1 beta release (currently beta 4). It supports PPP on NT 5.x (W2K, WXP, WServer2K3), although it's a beta release and might introduce new bugs - problems should be reported to the WinPcap developers so that they can try to fix them before the final release.