Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] V5.2 support

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:52:35 -0800
PAUL MCGUINNESS wrote:

Does Ethereal support V5.2 protocol?

Not, as far as I know, unless there's some way to transport it over IP, for example.

If so how do you interface with the V5.2 E1 Data channels?

If it supports it by transporting it over IP, the answer would be "by arranging that the packets on the E1 data channels be gatewayed over IP and then capturing on the IP network".

"Ethereal supports protocol XXX", in the sense of "Ethereal has a dissector for protocol XXX", doesn't necessarily imply "Ethereal can capture protocol XXX traffic on a 'native' link-layer transport for XXX" - it could, for example, support some IP encapsulation of XXX, or support reading capture files from some equipment that has the hardware needed to capture traffic on the "native" link layer for XXX.