Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sniffing FCP SCSI-over-FC frames

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:40:31 -0800
gistolero@xxxxxx wrote:

I want to capture FCP (Fibre Channel Protocol) SCSI-over-FC frames. Is there any possibility to do this with ethereal or tcpdump?

Only if the SCSI-over-FC frames are also FCIP frames.

The list with supported protocols shows FCP, but I can't find any documentation how to use an HBA as interface.

"The list of supported protocols shows XXX" doesn't imply "the underlying OS on which you're running Ethereal supports capturing XXX on top of all the physical transport mechanisms that can carry XXX" - it could be that Ethereal can read capture files that contain XXX over some transport mechanism that libpcap and the mechanisms it supports can't capture on, or that there's some way of transporting XXX over IP.

I think ethereal will capture only IP-over-fibre, right?

Right - and it will only capture lower-level Fibre Channel protocols if they're running atop a network link layer or higher layer, e.g. FCIP.

If so, does anybody knows a sniffer that is able to do what I want?

The "sniffer" would, as far as I know, have to include hardware as well as software, and will probably cost money.

Finisar has their "Xgig Analyzer Suite":

	http://www.finisar.com/nt/xgig.php

Googling for "fibre channel analyzer" found a number of other pages for products that will probably do what you want.