Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal crashing when capturing sflow from a summit 48si

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:55:01 -0800
Vincent Magnin wrote:

I try to capture sflow frame of an extreme summit 48si from ethereal v 0.10.9 on
windows/linux but in every cases, ethereal is crashing.

Where sould I report this bug?

ethereal-users or ethereal-dev works.

You can download a sample dump from here:
http://weather.unil.ch/test/48si.pcap

The sFlow dissector was assuming the X.25 dissector was registering itself as "x25" - it's not, it registers itself as "x.25".

It was also assuming some other dissectors existed - they don't.

However, the sFlow packets in question probably *didn't* have X.25 stuff in them; Ethereal seems to think they're malformed, but that probably means there's a bug somewhere in the sFlow dissector; it claims to be a dissector for sFlow V4, but the packets in question are sFlow V5, which is probably different.

I've checked in a fix for the crashing problems, which should be in the next release, but fixing up the sFlow dissector to handle V5 is a bigger project which probably won't be in the next release.