Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Regarding 802.1q

From: Scott Lowrey <slowrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:34:04 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

Scott Lowrey wrote:

I know the Intel PRO is VLAN capable but I'm not sure about Windows, and even if you do get the packets, you may not see the tags. See http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup_2fVLAN for more info.
I'll update the Linux section...

Does the Linux driver support an option similar to the Windows driver for the Intel card, to pass the VLAN tags up (either always, or in promiscuous mode)?

VLAN "filtering" is supported by the Intel hardware and is configurable. The driver seems to have this enabled by default, therefore the tags are being stripped before being passed up. A search of the mail archives at http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000 indicates that filtering can be disabled. Indeed, the most current driver has the disabling code included but only for a specific chip type. Not sure why that is.

I'd like to find out if there is a non-invasive (ethtool?) way to disable this filtering but unfortunately I have other things going on at the moment.... :-|

-
*Scott Lowrey*
Test Engineering Manager
NexTone Communications <http://nextone.com>