Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal/libpcap missing library function pcap_findalldevs

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:33:00 -0800
David.Kaatz@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I don't understand why the ethereal install from rpm can depend on libpcap-0.6.2, and then have this error when I install the correct library version.

If an RPM of Ethereal depends on libpcap-0.6.2 but includes a binary that uses pcap_findalldevs(), the RPM was built incorrectly.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Solution: don't bother with the RPMs on the Ethereal site, search for an RPM in rpmfind.net instead. (That also gets you a newer version than 0.10.0a.)

(We should really get rid of the RPMs on the Ethereal site, due to this problem and due to them including out-of-date versions of Ethereal. Gerald?)