Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 10.9 Crashes while decoding an X11 packet

From: "Olivier Biot (Ethereal)" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:49:36 +0100
Title: Ethereal 10.9 Crashes while decoding an X11 packet
Hello Mike,

If you have a small X11 packet capture (10 to 100 packets) which shows the problem, send it to the list so we can inspect it.

One simple way of doing this, is:
1. Note the packet number(s) where the crash(es) occurs
1. Disable the X11 dissector in the Ethereal preferences
2. Open the bogus capture file and select the bogus packet. If the crash still occurs, then X11 is not the culprit.
3. Right-click that packet and choose "follow TCP stream"
4. Save the filtered packets to a new file, tick the "filtered packets" radio button.
5. Re-enable X11 protocol.
6. Open the bogus capture and cerify that it crashes Ethereal.

If that file is small enough, post it to the list so we can have a look at it.

Best regards,

Olivier