Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal disrupts my network communication - Please help?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:35:10 -0800
Andre Viljoen wrote:

I ping my gateway (or any other address) on my network continuously and get replies to all my pings. Then I start ethereal and start a new live capture (promiscuous mode or not makes no difference).
As soon as the capture is started, the pings start timing out.
When I stop the capture, the pings start replying again.

On what operating system is this happening?

If it's some version of Windows, try running WinDump instead of Ethereal; if the same problem occurs, report this to the WinPcap developers.

If it's some UN*X-flavored OS, try running tcpdump instead of Ethereal; if the same problem occurs, report it to the OS vendor if it's a commercial UN*X (including commercial Linux distributions and Mac OS X), or report it to the appropriate bug database if it's a non-commercial Linux distribution or one of the non-commercial BSDs.