Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal disrupts my network communication - Please help?

From: Andre Viljoen <Andre.Viljoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:23:43 +0200
Title: Ethereal disrupts my network communication - Please help?

Hi,
I'm new on the list and hoping for some help with a problem:
I experience the following:
I ping my gateway (or any other address) on my network continuously and get replies to all my pings.
Then I start ethereal and start a new live capture (promiscuous mode or not makes no difference).
As soon as the capture is started, the pings start timing out.
When I stop the capture, the pings start replying again.
When I examine the capture, I see ICMP reply from my gateway, but I don't see the ICMP request being sent to the gateway.

I have read the FAQ's and just to save some time please note the following:
I don't run any VPN software that I am aware of. How can I confirm this? What do I look for?
I have tried capturing with both promiscuous mode on and off, but with the same result.
I have tried the on board Intel LAN interface and also a Xircom RBE-100 PCMCIA NIC and also a 3Com Megahertz Model 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA Adapter, but all with the same results.

I have also tried turning "Offload TCP segmentation" on and off with the same results.

Can anyone help me with some suggestions as to what to try next please?
Kind Regards
Andre

André W Viljoen
Phone: +27 11 254 7643
Mobile: +27 83 264 0347
eMail: andre.viljoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd accepts no liability therefore, except where the sender specifically states them to be those of T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd.  Although this message has been scanned for the possible presence of computer viruses prior to despatch, T-Systems South Africa (Pty) Ltd cannot be held responsible for any viruses or other material transmitted with, or as part of, this message.