Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] New Protocol Name-Newbie Question

From: "Joseph Hesse" <joe_hesse@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:00:21 -0600

Hi,

This is a newbie question – a pointer in the right direction will be much appreciated.

I wrote a standard Linux client/server echo application using TCP.  This is usually the first application in books on socket programming.  The application works great and I run the echo server on port 9999.  I can capture the traffic with Ethereal with no problem.

What I would like to do is give a name to this application running on port 9999 just like http on port 80.  Suppose I name the application “xyz.”  When I look at the captured packet (top window) that contains the echoed data, I see the protocol as TCP.  I would like to see the protocol as “xyz.”  How do I do this?

Many thanks,

Joe