Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Decoding of TCP sequence numbers contained within ICMP messages

From: Bjorn Townsend <eriktown@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:33:30 -0800
Greetings to the list. I just joined, so I apologize if this has been
asked before.  However, I wasn't able to find anything about this when
searching the site, so I think perhaps it may be new.

I was troubleshooting an issue involving path MTU discovery today and
was looking at an ICMP Destination Unreachable packet in Ethereal
0.10.9. I noticed that even though the ICMP packet contained the
source port, destination port and sequence number of the original
datagram, Ethereal only decoded the source and destination port; the
sequence number was recognized as being TCP data but was not decoded.

Is this by design? Or if not, can this feature be requested?

Thanks!

--
Bjorn Townsend | eriktown@xxxxxxxxx