Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problem with Elapsed Time reading Sniffer File

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:31:30 +0000

Comparing two captures of the same data taken on opposite sides of a WAN cloud, one taken by Ethereal and one by Sniffer, I noticed discrepancies in the timing when comparing the two using Ethereal. When Ethereal 0.10.9 (on WinXP-SP1) reads a file from Sniffer version 4.70.04 (on Win2K-SP4), it reports the elapsed time compressed by a factor of about 3.6, i.e. a capture of 1 minute and 23.1 seconds on the Sniffer appears only to be 23.2 seconds long in Ethereal. The compression is equal throughout the capture, i.e. you can take any elapsed time in Ethereal, multiply it by 3.6 and get the original elapsed time in Sniffer.

I have tried other Time column formats than the default, but with no improvement.

Thanks.

PS. I still think Ethereal is the best thing since sliced bread, though.

Regards,

Dave

http://www.itnetplc.com

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of ITNET plc and/or its subsidiaries.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies (which may contain alterations)
subsequently transmitted from ITNET plc and/or its subsidiaries, are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify ITNET Customer Service Centre by telephone on +44 (0)121 459 1155
or via email to csc.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx, including a copy of this message. Please then delete this email and destroy any copies of it.