Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] IP flow reference

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:23:27 -0800
Richard J Moore wrote:

What's the recommended reference for IP protocol flows? What I'm after is a
compact reference that shows the flow sequences for various n/w activities
(e.g session setup, takedown, port activation etc..).

IP has no notion of sessions or ports; as Hansang Bae notes, the answer to your question depends on the protocols running *atop* IP, as those are the protocols with notions of sessions and ports.

For TCP, which has a notion of connections (which I guess could be considered sessions) and ports, you might want to see the late W. Richard Stevens' books on TCP/IP:

	http://www.kohala.com/start/

although I don't know whether they'd be considered compact references - more like tutoriala. The "compact reference" for TCP is RFC 793.