Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] [Patch] Bug in RCMP dissector (was RE: "Malf ormed" ASF RMC

From: "Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM)" <francisco.alcoba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:27:01 +0100
Hi,

> 	How do you apply this patch? Can the average
> non-programming type
> person do this?

Not really. It is a source patch, so you need to change the source code
and recompile. If you don't have a compiler environment, and the time
to do this, you need to wait for someone to do it. The normal procedure
is that some developer with authority to do so reviews it and, if approved,
commits it. After that, the next release will come patched; but you need
to have a look at the development list to see if the patch is applied.
If it is, and you are in a hurry, you can try with a beta version of
the current software, but I would not recommend it unless you accept a
potentially unstable program. And if it is not commited, and nobody has
answered that it is unacceptable either, you can write to the development
list to try and get someone to do it -especially if they begin to talk
about releasing a new version and your intended patch has not been
considered-.

Regards,

  Francisco