Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] RE:capture using two serial ports for serial ppp

From: Frank v. Münchow-Pohl <FrankMuenchow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:57:10 +0100
Hello,

when my understanding is correct, the requested feature
should be provided in packet.dll (when using winpcap as capture
interface), not in ethereal itself. For a moment, I thought about
starting some work in this direction, but then decided to make
a stand-alone capture application instead, just the way Trevor
described. I realized, that handling VJ- and PPP-compression
would be a lot of work, but I don't need them in my work now.
It seems to me, that these features are handled in ethereal
rather than in winpcap, but to make ethereal understand compressed
data through a pcap file, they have to be decoded (Or is there a way
to tell ethereal to decode these packets?). When using the
packet.dll interface, ethereal hopefully can do the decoding as it
does with internal PPP capture. So I'm still interested to have
serial capture as a winpcap feature. The stand-alone capture
application seems useful for in-field or remote operation anyway.
If anyone is interested, who has not yet made his own serial capture,
I can provide the code.

Best regards,

Frank v. Münchow-Pohl
Bochum, Germany