Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Request for Update

Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:31:08 +0100
(See attached file: Ethereal-conversation.JPG.lnk)Hello Devellopers,

I am using Ethereal somtimes to generate a Traffic Matrix. The
Conversations Option helps very mutch to simplfy this job. In my opinion
there is one point witch could be improved.
At the tcp folder you can see the Address A with Port A und Address B witch
Port B. But you cannot see if  Address A or Address B initiates the TCP
Session. To design Fire Wall Rules this Information is nesseceary. To
demonstrate this I send you a Screen Shot.
At the screen shot you could see that  the IP 10.3.10.26 initiates the
Session [SYN]. If you have a lock at the Conversations Folder you can see
the Address 10.10.14.17 at the Collum Address A and the IP 10.3.10.26 at
the Collum B. Thist indicates in my opinion that 10.10.14.17 initiates the
Session and not 10.3.10.17.

In my opinion it would be very usefull if for all TCP Sessions Address A is
used for the Source and Address B is used for Destinations.

Best regards

Martin Scheidig
BAYERISCHER RUNDFUNK
Rundfunkplatz 1