Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] traffic analysis, help please

From: Muzalina Zakaria <muzalina_zakaria@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:54:26 -0800 (PST)
When I go to Statistics>Summary after each capture, it always give me Dropped Packets: 0 but I do encounter segment lost and retransmission.  What does Dropped Packets really mean?

ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Previous Segment Lost" menas just that: the previous segments was
missing from the capture.

Was this segment immediately ACKed by the other side?
I.e. was there an ACK coming back reasonably soon after this segment
that ACKed what was marked as the "next sequence number" for the
"prev segm lost" packet or beyond that number ?
If so, it is very likely that the packet did go across the weire but
it was just missing from the capture.

Or,

Are there DupACKs and is there sometime later a TCP Retransmission
with a sequence number that is prior to the one in the "prev segment
lost" packet?
If so it the packet was probably lost.

Or,

Is there an OutOfOrder segment just immediately after the previous segment lost?
If so it is probably just packet reordering in the network which is normal.

Keep in mind, packetloss in the network is normal and can not be eliminated.
In fact due to the way TCP works TCP must deliberately create
packetloss in order to be able to optimize throughput.

If only a few packets are missing and retransmitted then this is
normal and expected.
This is ethernet and tcp/ip it is supposed to be lossy.