Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] traffic analysis, help please

From: Brian Davidson <briankd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:37:34 -0800
Okay, I see that a TCP Packet was lost, but I guess I want a fuller definition of the word "lost".  Yes, the packet might actually not be there.  Beyond that, how likely is it that the traffic was so heavy on the line that Ethereal did not have resources to capture and save it?  I need to know if "TCP Previous Segment Lost" means absolutely that it was missing, rather than "slipped past while Ethereal was busy".  Is there some other indicater in the capture file that traffic volume got high enough to affect the ability to record?

I'll next ask this question of Cisco.  Any idea what their answer will be?

Thanks,   Brian