Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How to start ethereal with capture filters enabled already

From: Mark Grigsby <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:02:29 -0800
Ariel..

On *Nix distributions, I use command line specifications for captures in
simple shell scripts.  for instance...

ethereal -i eth1 -f "net 192.168.0.0/24 and port 110" -k

this will start ethereal with the capture defined as listening to ethernet 1
interface, and looking for traffic on port 110 on network 192.168.0.0/24..
(192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0) the -k at the end means to start the capture
now.  If you omit the -k at the end, it will preload the capture filter but
you will still have to manually start the capture.