Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:33:58 -0700 (MST)
This post was made to the dev forum, but duplicated here in case some
sophisticated users might have the answer.

I tried using the Vonage VOIP service over DirecWay satellite using the
linksys PAP2 adaptor.  It worked lousy - i.e. not work.  6-10 second
delay, and then the message garbled and very weak due to lost packets.  I
know, it is the satellite delay that is scrambling everything.  Satellite
latency should add up to about 1.5 - 2 second delay.

However, I ran Ethereal to capture while testing the phone.  Voila!  With
Etheral running and capturing, the uplink came through very clear and
strong, with the anticipated geosynch satellite delay (which would be the
minimum delay possible).

A big question - what is Ethereal doing while capturing that somehow
ordered or priortized the outbound packets such that the connection worked
as perfectly as possible?  Something very important was happening while
capture was active!  I need to duplicate this activity all time.