Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] RE: q-in-q

From: "Tiernan, Dan" <dtiernan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:51:09 -0500

Hello,

I and a colleague are using ethereal 10.4 and wincap 2.3. My colleague can capture and display a q-in-q vlan packet. See below. Basically, the metro providers will carry customers tagged vlan traffic and append another VLAN ID header to the original packet, thus reduce the consumption of VLAN ID's in the metro Ethernet network.

When I capture the same traffic, all I see is the VLAN ID from the customer (vlan_10) and not Q-IN-Q vlan ID

of 1000.

Why would I have this problem? I would think that your stack is grabbing the packet off the wire, so is it possible that the my nic card is discriminating the q-in-q id?

His laptop nic card is 3c920 and mine is a Broadcom 440 10/100 integrated controller.

Please advise...

Dan Tiernan

Pre-Sales Technical Support & Training

MRV Communications, Inc.