Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Command Line Preference Changes

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:23:39 -0700
Preston, Gabriel wrote:

I was wondering if it would be possible to change the file permission
defaults via the command line to '0644' with the '-o' flag?

Given that the "-o" flag affects only protocol preferences, and the file permissions aren't a protocol preference - in fact, it's not a preference at all - the answer is "no".

It seems that
sometimes ethereal/tethereal saves the capture files with a '0600' file
permission

"Sometimes"?  That's the default behavior.

We could use 0644 and let the umask take away undesired read permissions, but that might not be what all users want - it's easier to give people read permissions afterwards than to retroactively take away read permission after somebody's already read a file, and capture files sometimes contain sensitive data.

We could also perhaps have the temporary capture files created with 0600 and have "Save" change the permissions of the file, although again that might give public read permission when that's not desired.

Having Ethereal control the access rights to files gets more complicated on systems with ACLs (systems in the Windows NT line, including W2K (NT 5.0), WXP (NT 5.1), and W2K3 Server (NT 5.2), and some UN*Xes).