Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:22:43 -0700
Daron.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have ran in to a strange problem between two versions of Ethereal. The two versions I am using are .10.4 and .10.7. When using the Follow TCP Stream option and then Save As, version .10.4 saves the data correctly however when using version .10.7 control characters are not saved properly. For example a hex 02 <STX> is getting saved as a hex E3 (period character).

Hex E3 isn't an ASCII period; I assume you meant "hex 2E", which appears to be what's in the second file you sent.

Recent versions of Ethereal display non-printable characters as "." in the "Follow TCP Stream" window; older versions appear not to have done that. This was probably a side-effect of fixing the code that *prints* the TCP stream data to show non-printable characters as ".".

It might be useful to have both "save as is" and "save as displayed" operations.