Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] tethereal does not exit or write to file until packet recev

From: "Wakefield, Thad M." <twakefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:11:29 -0500

> Hi,
>
> I'm running the following:
> tethereal 0.9.15
> Compiled with GLib 1.2.10, with libpcap 0.6, with libz 1.1.3,
> without UCD-SNMP or Net-SNMP, without ADNS
> Running on Linux 2.4.20-8
>

> When I use the "-l -V -w <filename> -a duration:<seconds> "
> options, tethereal definitely doesn't flush to file and only
> writes to the file and exits when a packet is received after
> the "duration" time is over. You can send as many packets as
> you want to the capturing interface and wait forever but if
> no packet arrives after this duration then the program hangs
> and the packet file remains empty.
>
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ? This problem is
> completely reproducable. Try it on two back-to-back
> interfaces so the only traffic is what you send via ping, etc ....
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

Since I've experienced the same problem and there was no
response to Peter, I'm trying a repost. Tethereal with the
-a duration: parameter doesn't exit until it captures a
filtered packet. If it did exit, it would be more convenient
than using tcpdump, sleep and pkill to scan ports. Ethereal
does exit even if it doesn't capture a filtered packet when
using "Stop capture after ... seconds." Is there a reason
why the two programs don't function the same way?

Thanks
Thad