Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] About Ethereal 0.10.6

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:10:55 -0700
Hubert BOVE wrote:

When I want to save a capture file in the window "capture options",
this option does not function correctly
because should be specified an existing file.
Moreover the button "cancel" does not function.
In previous releases I could record a new file which did not exist.

I think there might have been a bug that was recently fixed; I'll let Ulf Lamping answer that one (as the bug that might be the cause of this problem was fixed by him).

        802.3 and Ethernet are on the same layer.
        why in the "protocol hierarchy" menu, 802.3 appears on ethernet?
        Is it possible to separate 802.3 and Ethernet ?

Well, the 802.3 spec includes both packets with a length field and with a type field, so both types of packet are 802.3 packets.

We could have separate protocol types for 802.3 packets with a length field and 802.3 packets with a type field, if there's a reason to have separate statistics for length-field packets and type-field packets. I think we could continue to put "eth.src" and "eth.dst" fields under a protocol for 802.3 (the alternative would mean that you'd have to worry about length-field 802.3 vs. type-field 802.3 when filtering on Ethernet addresses.

        In "packet details" window Netbios appears on the 802.3/802.2 stack.
        Normally, it's Netbeui which is on 802.3/802.2 stack.
        Netbios is above IP.

NetBIOS is an API and a "service" in the sense in which that term is used in, for example, OSI protocol specs. It's implemented by several protocols running on top of 802.2, TCP and UDP, IPX, etc.. The protocol running on top of 802.2 is often called NetBEUI.

        Is it possible to replace Netbios by Netbeui when we have 802.3/80.2 stack ?

If you mean "is it possible to have the dissector for the NetBEUI protocol refer to the protocol as 'NetBEUI' - or 'NBF', or whatever - rather than as 'NetBIOS', which is what it currently calls it?", the answer is "yes, we could".