Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Malformed http packet

From: "Satsangi, Vivek " <Vivek.Satsangi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:42:21 -0400
Title: Message
Note: I am a total newbie, so if this is answered elsewhere (I did check the FAQ and did a couple of websearches) please let me know and I will go read that, instead.

I am using ethereal 0.10.6, although the behaviour was the same with 0.10.5a.

I am checking out why some http over TCP transactions do not work. We got a packet capture from the customer, and I saw that by default, some http packets would show as reassembled. Following up on some advice in the discussion groups, I checked the box "Allow subdissectors to desegment TCP" in the TCP protocol preferences. I also checked the box "Desegment HTTP bodies spanning multiple TCP segments". This causes the Info field to read "HTTP/1.1 200 OK[Malformed Packet]. If I additionally check the box "Desegment HTTP headers spanning multiple TCP segment", then the info field changes to "desegmented TCP packet" and it no longer seems to think that this is an http packet or something (I can't see the http part of the protocol tree with the packet selected.

I repeated the test from my own machine, going to our website and also to yahoo and ethereal.com -- and in those cases also, I see the same "malformed packet" message.

What gives?

I can send you one of the captures if you would like. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Vivek Satsangi.