Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Solved: 78 percent of ARP packets on the network

From: Peter Marquardt <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:08:19 +0200
Erick Perez - BANSOFT wrote:

windows xp(139.60.1.5)-->Who has 139.60.1.7
windowx xp(139.60.1.7)--> response to 139.60.1.5
windows xp(139.60.1.7)-->Who has 139.60.1.5
windowx xp(139.60.1.5)--> response to 139.60.1.7

and this was going and going and going EVERY second for all the 52
computers.

Funky, i would have expected even more than 78% ARP traffic in that case, but the rest is probably TCP from the file sharing and the SMTP relay (which made me say "WTF?" out loud) ;)

what about the netadmins? what for? this is a self-healing 200 computer
network... ;)
Firewall...what firewall? hehe.

Kind of the opposite of our school network, which is so restricted that we are only are allowed outbound traffic to port 80. I would probably even have to use httptunnel to access anything else than a webserver on my home machine, I bet the admin has the gateway check on the validity of the http packets.

thanks to all and thanks to ethereal.

Thanks for giving us the solution, it was interesting to follow.

--Peter