Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] WinXPHome is active despite hybernate?

From: Peter Marquardt <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 23:13:46 +0200
Several times I've seen one of the Windows XP Home boxes in my home network "connected" and "active" in the LAN. The light on the NIC and the switch are _on_ like if the machine was not turned off at all. Today I concentrated on that machine with Ethereal and found it to send ARP requests and announce its NetBios name/workgroup. It is the only desktop PC with Windows XP Home, the Notebook when booted into XP Home and hibernating doesn't show that behavior and even my running and online Linux / BSD boxen are less "noisy" on the LAN when idle than the hibernating XP Home box. It's perfectly quiet though, when Windows is actually shut down.

Is that normal? I always thought hibernation is a suspend to disk followed by a power-off. (The machine also boots and recovers from HD upon power-on) If the OS isn't managing the NIC, who/what then?

confused
-- Peter